Eye Conditions and Support Services
Assembled and written by David Waldron BSc MSc and Claudette Medefindt.
Retina International is grateful to the Foundation Fighting Blindness ( www.blindness.org ) for providing additional information on retinal conditions.
For whom is this information intended?
The information contained in this document is intended for use by those affected by individuals with visual impairment, their parents, family and friends, and as support information for member organizations of Retina International. The information will also be of use to interested health professionals, carers and teachers.
The purpose of the information is to explain...
- the way the eyes function in the visual system
- the reason why vision may become impaired by a specific condition
- the cause of the condition
- the effects of the condition on vision
- how the condition is diagnosed
- what can be done to help
This document is written with the minimum use of medical terms and jargon. It is impossible to avoid all medical terms but where we have used them we have attempted to explain them as clearly as we can. Although the information is intended to describe most aspects of the condition each person is different and there will always be exceptions to the rule. As far as we can determine these pages are true and accurate and have been written in good faith. Inevitably there will be some mistakes. We apologise for this.
What this information is not for
This document is not a substitute for a consultation with a Health Professional. It should not be used as a means of diagnosing a condition.
We hope the information will help you.
After reading the information we hope you will...
- have a better understanding of the condition
- know what tests and treatments are normally available
- know when to seek professional advice
- be able to discuss the condition in a more informed way
- make the most of consultations with carers, teachers and health professionals
- be reassured and more able to cope
Who wrote these documents?
These pages have been compiled by:
David Waldron BSc MSc, Chairperson of Fighting Blindness Ireland since 2000, and member of the Management Committee of Retina International, and Claudette Medefindt, National Secretary of Retina South Africa and Retinal International representative to AMD Alliance.
We are grateful to the Foundation Fighting Blindness for their information on many of the conditions.
If you have any questions or comments regarding the information please contact
Tel: + 41 (0) 44 444 10 77
Fax: + 41 (0) 44 444 10 70